Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Open Mic Night!

This week included an incredible and pivotal moment for me here in Korea. I was finally able to get out and play a set of my original music at an open mic night.


We discovered this place in downtown Daegu called Urban Lounge Bar & Live Club. It's a basement club in the middle of downtown that is owned and operated by this guy named Philan. He is a really REALLY cool person and incredible sound engineer. I was blown away by the sound quality and atmosphere of the club. One of my favorite places I have ever performed at, no exaggeration.

If you are a musician in Daegu and are looking for a place to play music, Urban is the place to be! They have open mic night every Wednesday evening from 10:00 p.m. - 4:00 a.m. Just show up, sign up, and play. I was able to do a 40 minute set. It's very accomodating and there seems to be a really good consistent crowd.

There was also this really cool Korean duo who performed right after me (see picture below). They played this style of music that was like a fusion of emo and folk. It was INCREDIBLE!! I really enjoyed hearing other musicians too, and what a great place to network with fellow artists!


I was also so very humbled and deeply grateful for the number of my friends and fellow teachers who came out to support me and my music. It was truly a memorable night not just because of the opportunity to play music, but the chance to spend time with so many of my friends here and to know how much they care for me.


All in all, I'd say it's been a GREAT week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment